1. It is FREE and available on the web. This means you can access the calendar anywhere you may have an internet connection -- even using your cell phone.
2. Google c alendar allows you to color code your appointments/events on your calendar. For instance, I have all of my personal events on my calendar in purpole, my kids school calendar in blue, and my business appointments in orange. The possiblities are endless.
3. Google calendar allows you to put an appointment on your calendar, then automatically send an email to invite someone else to the appointment. This was very helpful when my sister and I were coordingating who was going to take our mom to her doctor's appointments. All I had to do was put an appointment on the calendar and click a check box and enter my sister's email address.
4.Another useful feature of Google calendar is the ability to setup multiple alerts, reminding you of the event on your calendar. There are several ways to receive the alerts--Pop-up reminders, email messages or text messages. This has been very helpful because the alerts can be set to send messages weeks before your appointment to mintues before your appointment. You will never miss an interview or job fair with this feature turned on.
5. Google Calendar can also send a daily agenda email. This email will be sent to you each morning with a summary of your appointments for the day.
6. Google calendar allow you to share your calendar with others and they do not have to be Google Calendar users. Also, Google calendar may be synchronized with your Outlook calendar at work.
For those in job search mode, using Google calendar helps keep the job search information organized. It allows you to keep a record of wht interviews you attended. This is very helpful when you claim mileage and expenses on your tax returns at the end of the year. The to-do list associated with the calendar can help you keep a list of target companies that you would like to contact. Use the reminder feature to prompt you to file your weekly unemployment or take some other constant action.
Another added bonus about being a Google member and using Google calendar is there is another application called Google docs that allow you to store documents. Everyone looking for a job should store several versions of their resume and cover letters on the google docs platform in order to access those documents from anywhere. This way you are not dependent on a single computer to store your resume. If your computer dies, you don't have to worry about loosing an important doc like your resume.