- lying about job qualifications –31%
- poor communication skills –25%
- links to criminal behavior – 24%
- trash-talking previous employers –19%
- posting inappropriate photos online –11%
- using unprofessional screen names 8%
Given this new reality here are five ways to shield yourself and protect your online identity so that you have a “good” name on-line:
- Limit access to your profiles on social media sites only to those you approve.
- Claim your name as a domain name.
- Create a google profile (www.google.com/profiles) and create a positive identity.
- Create a custom url of your name on www.linkedin.com
- Commit to not put anything on a social media site you would not want your grandma to read.
According to Proverbs 22:1 “A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold.”